Monday, November 14, 2011

En Vivo! (Live on TV)

Apart from the presidential elections life has continued to be eventful here in Chinandega.  This past week my highschools have been administering their final exams which means my job in the schools is winding down.  I am still diligently working with my one group that will be advancing to the national level of the Business Competition in Managua on November 29th with their business plan Noni's Tea.  We met each day this week to revise their financials and better their business plan.  Many consecutive days infront of the computer working with my kids scored me shoulder rubs and braided hair :)

A highlight of the week was my appearances on a local TV talk show with two of my students!  The program addresses social issues within Chinandega and the neighboring region of Leon.  It was quite an experience for me and my students to be able to explain my project and our work together over the past several months.  It was also great publicity for their product!  The link was previously posted on Facebook by one of my students, but you can also access the video below.  Feel free to fast forward over the commercials and music videos, but I think they give you a taste of Nica culture if you're interested.  Please excuse the audio as it is of Nica quality.  Also note my over use of the word "entonces" which is pretty much a filler word equivalent to "umm" for when I get nervous.  Enjoy!

Video of Live Interview

Despite how busy I may seem there is plenty of time for reflection.  When I got to thinking the other day about my work and my time here I realized that I have been living in Nica for 6 months as of November 11th!  I can not believe how fast time is flying by, but I couldn't be happier with my work and  progress thus far.  Every day is completely different from the previous and new experiences continually pop up on my radar.  I continue to expand my spanish vocabulary as well as my views on the world and our development.

I feel very lucky to be able to escape almost every weekend to the beaches of Chinandega to surf.  I actually bought my first surf board for a whoopin $20!  It's a beater, but she'll do for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate! We loved your interview on the TV. It was so interesting to hear you talk so fluently in another language. We love your posts and seeing a part of the world we probably will never see personally. I am so happy that everything is going so well for you and we look forward to seeing more posts. God Bless Kate! Love you!
    Deb, Todd, Cody, Kady, Weston!!

    ReplyDelete