Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vaga

I was called Vaga by my host family for the first time this last weekend.  I knew it was coming.  I think I pushed it over the top when I left a sticky note on my door to tell my family where I was.  Vaga translates to someone who is out of the house a lot.  It can be construed as negative if the person is constantly out partying, but since I work hard during the week, I'll go ahead and be proud of my vaganess.  My host mom says its part of being a youth, and since she is a partner in a construction firm, I'm gonna go ahead and say she's a smart lady!

The vaga in me started two weekends ago when my Small Business Training group met up in Leon to celebrate our buddy Ben's birthday.  The fourteen of us together after almost a 2 month hiatus was a recipe for ridiculous amounts of fun.  We danced Friday night away in the colonial city of Leon and then took the party to the beach the next day to chill, well sort of.  I knew I loved these guys, but I think I realized that weekend how well we all get along and how much I miss them!  I can't wait for more reunions!  The social event of the weekend was Ben's Pinata which was actually a reincarnation of our fellow volunteer Matt in his famous awkward kneeling position from a photo we took on our first day in Nica.  The group was in hysterics when Chalin presented his precious gift.  We proceeded to beat Matt's twin until people were practically crying from laughing so hard.
Matt and twin
BIZ 56 reunited

This past week has also been a busy one in preparing for the various business competitions coming up in my institutes.  I have mentioned in the past the course I'm working with in high schools here, but I'll do a recap.  Basically I'm teaching Entrepreneurship in three institutos where all of the high-school seniors have to write a business plan all while learning a skill set to survive in a economy where there are no corporate jobs, but ample opportunity to start your own business.  I'm really loving the job so far and the competitions have got the kids really excited about their work over the past school year.  I'm really proud of my students and the teachers I work with for all the hard work that they have put forth since I arrived.  After a long week of searching for sponsors, looking for judges, revising business plans and holding pre-liminary competitions, I had a chance to let loose.

It all started about a month ago when my site mate Lindsey and I met a group of Columbians working for an Engineering firm here in Chinandega.  After visiting their home country for a few weeks they returned with a bottle of Aguardiente, which is a typical Columbian licorice flavored alcohol.  After finishing her off we headed to Chinandega's largest discoteca Dilectus.  Much to our surprise there was also a beauty pageant being held at the club and intermingled with dancing were spirits of tacky dresses parading around on stage.  Quite the entertainment, only in Nicaragua!

Saturday was a whirl wind of a women's rights meeting at La Casa de Mujer and a community bank meeting, which was followed by a birthday celebration for a fellow volunteer Tony.  By late afternoon we were off to the beach in Leon for the sunset and bar hopping.  Then up again at 5:30 the next morning to shred some waves at Coco Loco.  If there is one thing that I don't mind getting up at the crack of dawn for, its the beach.  My friend and fellow PC Volunteer Peter joined me, my new columbian friends, and our local Nica friend Erlin on the waves of Nahualapa.  I thought to myself while chillen and waiting for my next wave, not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning.

My new Columbian friends in Leon
Turns out the Columbians love to surf

 I thought I was coming home to relax on my Sunday afternoon when my host brother told me to hurry up and change because my cousin's birthday party was taking place at grandma's house. Sin shower(overrated) I sported a narly sunburn and beach hair to join 20 odd people at grandma's house around the corner.  Not 15 minutes after I sat down to a plate of carne asada, my host bro Jose started shoving shots of rum under my nose.  Well they proceeded to get me nice and liquored up and then grandma started quizzing me on how much I love Nica.  She also demanded that my family come to celebrate Christmas here in Nica, hear that mom?  Three bottles of Plata rum later and we were off to yet another dance party with my host bro, his girlfriend, my cousin, his girlfriend, Walter, Guillermo, my site mate Lindsey and one tired chela(white girl). Despite my tiredness I pulled myself together to practice my salsa moves.  And thus the creation of Vaga in my life.  But let's be honest, it's always been that way! When have I ever really sat still?  Now I just have the appropriate word to describe it! Vaga!

No comments:

Post a Comment