Monday, October 17, 2011

Fall

Fall is my favorite season and October my favorite month.  This is proving to be true here in Nica as well.  I love how people start ordering their starbucks hot instead of iced and a chill works its way in to the night air the same way apple cider and all things pumpkin finagle their way in to your diet.  Although I'm picturing the leaves changing to rich autumn colors before they fall to the ground, I'm finding a whole new meaning to the word Fall, RAIN FALL!  October is the rainiest month of the rainy season.  It's been on and off tropical rain storms here in Chinandega since last Tuesday.  This is the first time that I've experienced 48 hours of constant torrential downpour in my life.  As many problems as the rain creates, it also cools this heat zone down to a breezy 75 degrees which I'm totally embracing.  Five straight days with out sweating unless provoked is a nice change.


These last two weeks have been extremely busy with work, but in a very good way!  I feel as though the past several months of working with my students and counterparts amounted to a very successful local competition between my three high schools here in Chinandega.  This last Friday the seven winning teams from my three highschools came together to compete with their business plans/products to determine who will advance to the regional level coming up in two weeks(more work for Kate).  Despite the fact that the location of my competition was revoked at 3 pm the day before the competition and a tropical rainstorm cancelled classes all week when I was supposed to be prepping the students, I'd say everything turned out just fantastic!  I got feedback from my judges(business owners in the community) and project manager that the students had amazing presentations and most importantly had a real handle on the reality of how to start a business.  This my friends is my primary goal.  I just want my students to walk away with the knowledge and enthusiasm needed to start a business and a better life for themselves, if they so chose.

My winning team and counterpart with Tea made of Noni (provides several health benefits)

My most creative group with flowers made from recycled bottles


These gals gave an amazing presentation for a Drink made from Yucca


I made a huge effort to involve my community in the competition by inviting several business owners as well as the local TV channels to cover the event.  Well my invitation led to a live interview on the Wednesday morning Channel 9 news.  I felt very out of place sitting cross legged on a green polyester couch with a microphone positioned awkwardly in my left hand.  I wasn't sure where to look, at the several cameras or my interviewer.  I had asked my interviewer to speak slowly and clearly, but when we got started she ran her mouth just like a typical news reporter, leaving me blinking wide eyed in complete shock when we started the question and answer segment.  Unfortunately I don't have this memory recorded, but I was interviewed a second time for a written piece which they did record.
My second interviewer was very nice, but the camera man was a handful.  When I asked her to speak slowly and clearly he must have taken that as an invitation to speak to me in his horrible broken english, possibly thinking I might understand him better?  He was more of a distraction and talked over me during my interview.  I have attached the file so you can see for yourself.  Nevermind that I look like a wet rat from the rain and the camera is shooting up from ant's eye view, holly chin!  The best part is the camera man had the nerve to ask me out to dinner via email after he sent over this link, ha ha, yea right!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/le46uy


One of the perks of being involved in the Small Business Project in Peace Corps Nicaragua is the fact that we throw a huge cocktail party in Managua that practically every volunteer in Nicaragua attends.  We rent out a space at the Holiday Inn and invite the U.S. Embassy as well as NGOs to raise money for our national level of the Emprendedurismo Competition.  I told my host mom and sister about the occasion and they insisted that we go dress shopping for the event!  Now here is my chance to reveal the Nica style which is oh so very distinct!  Just think taky 80s or ghetto fabulous, it really can go both ways.  Picture rhinestones, obnoxious bows, lots of spandex and bright colors and you're on your way!  Usually women strut around in jeans made out of material that is 50% spandex with their thong hanging out the back and a belly flopping over the front.  Shirts range from flowy maternity looking tops to too tight tube tops, neither of which are flattering.  Gladiator sandals and platforms are all the rage right now.  Please note that I am stereo typing and that there are women that do not dress like this, for example my host mom and sister.  But you have to imagine how the majority of the clothes following this style would lead to a challenge when dress shopping.  I haven't done any shopping here to date, but the first experience was unforgettable.  Every dress I tried on was either skin tight or frilled out!  No surprise each time I tried on a dress they wanted to observe my ass first and foremost before assessing the dress as a whole. Story of my life.  At one point I actually tried on a yellow and black frilly dress which reminded me of a bumble bee, that was my mom's favorite, of course.  You well get to see in my next post what dress I settled on.

This weekend I also had a chance to bond more with my host bro on Saturday night when we all went out Salsa dancing.  The usual group is me, my site mate Lindsey, Jose my bro, his GF when she's in town and his amigos Walter, Guillermo, and William(my cuz) who have become like brothers to me as well.  Walter is also teaching me how to play my guitar, which is a long slow process I'm finding out.  Jose likes to remind me all the time how I should be practicing just so he can make fun of how much I suck.  Tonight I learned La Bamba!  This was my absolute favorite song when I was about 5, could never get enough.  Growing up an hour from the border of Mexico may have had a slight influence.  Speaking of Mexico, I discovered a mexican restaurant where I can get Chilaquiles with salsa verde!  All is good on the food front.  I find myself craving beans and tortillas more than ever!

Surfing is still going well.  I'm in search of my own board right now.  Yoga still rocks my world daily.  I'm back in the groove of running and shooting for a 18k on November 20th.  Shout out to my girl Annie for completing the Chicago Marathon last weekend, you're amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment