Saturday, May 11, 2013

Gratitude


This is what I feel as I come to the end of my service-Pure gratitude for my placement in this beautiful country in the city of Chinandega.  I am grateful for the people that have crossed my path and become key components to my experience here.

I have met amazing individuals that have helped me to re-define the meaning of living fully and whole-heartedly.  I have learned to love more freely, judge my self a little less, and define a good day as having a personal connection whether it be with myself or someone else.  This place and the people I have become close with(Nicas, Volunteers, and ex-pats) have forever changed me, and I am grateful for that.  I still love the great outdoors and the ocean, but with a greater intensity and appreciation than ever.  I feel I have become a more pure, uncluttered, down to earth version of the gal that left the states two years ago. 

I have immense gratitude for the counterparts and organizations that helped me to make my dream of improving the lives of Latin American women a reality. I have worked with women entrepreneurs in meeting their personal and professional goals.  I have influenced business owners, youth and educators.  I have loved many Nicaraguan people and they have changed me eternally.  I have surfed and salsa danced my heart out.  I have challenged myself in so many ways- emotionally, physically and intellectually.  I came in to this experience with an open mind and heart, to fill it up with much more than I thought I ever could.  I am so very grateful for this.

I am grateful that the people I have worked with have chosen to express their gratitude for me in various ways.  The ladies of Pro Mujer put on a house party with loud salsa music, friend chicken, soda and a gift of a turtle statue: I only like the first of those four things, but I’m so grateful!  I love that this is how they show me how grateful they were for my two years of working closely with them. 

Regret is not a word I like to use, mainly because I don’t believe it exists; it’s simply an unhealthy form of dwelling in the past.  Everything happens for a reason and you learn from it.  As I reflect back on my service and begin to put on paper what these 2 years meant, I contemplate if there is anything that I have left undone, but there isn’t.  I am grateful for every ounce of sadness, discomfort, rejection, joy, accomplishment and triumph I experienced.  Because the harder times help me to grow and realize just how grateful I am for all the wonderful things in my life.

I am grateful to have experienced living in a developing country and realize just how great we have it in the U.S. and where our values could be considered out of whack. I can say I truly have loved living here and I’m hesitant to re-immerse myself in the first world, but I’m grateful that I have that opportunity to do so if I chose.  I can’t tell you how many Nicaraguans have asked me to take them with me to the U.S., jokingly, but with all seriousness.

I am grateful that the stars aligned and I will be studying at the University of South Carolina in an internationally focused MBA program that fits me perfectly.  I’m grateful that I will be traveling back to Latin America with in nine months as I continue to study and feed my craving to travel.  I’m grateful that my position with Peace Corps and my past experiences has helped me to obtain a scholarship in the process.

I am grateful for all the friends and family back home who have supported me and even made their way down to see my life in Nicaragua.  I am grateful that you all have taken an interest in what I chose to do with my life for two years here in Nicaragua.  Thank you.

.


1 comment:

  1. Kate,
    As I read your post of Gratitude....I know every bit of the emotions you are feeling as you leave this beautiful country and how it has changed you. Spending just one month with the crew at El Coco Loco changed my life as well...I am grateful to have met you and you will be very close to Florida! Lets get together! I love South Carolina!

    With a big open heart and a new perspective.....enjoy this one crazy life you have!

    Peace,
    Debby
    wwwdebbydebile.com

    ReplyDelete