Monday, March 19, 2012

Calle 13 Concert

Oh how I have missed my live music down here!  I'm not sure if you've heard of Calle 13, I hadn't until I came down to Nica, but they are a Puerto Rican band that has cleaned up over the past several years at the Latin American Music awards.  Last November they released Entre los Que Quieran, which highlights the bands controversial style of addressing Latin American cultural and issues.  They are known for their satirical lyrics which are usually accompanied by unconventional instruments.  I was lucky enough that they included Managua in their concert tour!  Last Thursday night several volunteers and I gathered in the capitol to attend the concert which was held in Managua's nicest mall's parking lot. They put on an amazing show and drew a eclectic crowd of foreigners and Nicaraguans alike.  My fellow volunteer buddy Julian was born and raised in Puerto Rico and you can see him representing with his homemade flag below.  It was a true display of latino culture.  One of their bigger hits is Latinoamerica which has an amazing music video to accompany it and the lyrics are great as well.  I recommend viewing even if you can't understand the lyrics, but here is the translation in to English.

Julian representing with his Puerto Rican flag.  He even made it on their official Facebook page here.


I was also fortunate enough the weekend before last to catch some acoustic live music by Luis Enrique in Esteli with some friends.  His music is also full of Nicarguan history as he touches on the contra war and how to assemble an AK 47 which was broadcast to Nicaraguan troops from Honduras during the war to educate the soldiers.  It was my buddy Nelson's b-day so at one point we actually got him to do a shout out and dedicate a song to the volunteers of Chinandega.  Live music is something that has always been such a huge part of my life and I have really been missing it.  I think I got a good fix for the time being, but there is always room for more!  If you think of it, send some new music my way if there is anything new out that you know I'd like.  I hate being behind on the music scene down here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks honey for sharing. I love your pictures and the concert looks fantastic. I checked out the video and it is truly motivational to the cause and culture.
    Love you, miss you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete