Sunday, June 26, 2011

Training is flying by…

I can’t believe I’ve been in Nica for 7 weeks now.  I only have a month left of training and then I’m off to start my two years of service.  This past week has been crazy busy with interviews. We had full on job interviews with our bosses to determine our site placement and qualification for the job descriptions in the available sites.  Last weekend current volunteers held a “site fair” to inform us about all the different areas of Nicaragua and possibilities for our site placement.  We get to pick our top three sites that we would like to work and live in for the two years.  My bosses will then pair my previous experience, current work requirements, and my interests to pick the best site for me individually.

My top three sites…mind you I have never been to these places, but have been talking about them with previous volunteers and I’m going off of work descriptions.

·      Chinandega- This north western region of Nica is hot and dry boarding Honduras to the South and the Pacific Ocean to the West.  There is opportunity to work with NGOs and Micro Finance Institutions(MFIs).  Organizations that support women in business through loans and advising exist here.

·      Matagalpa- is in the northern mountains featuring a much cooler climate and a reputation for being labeled as Cowboy country.  It’s also a large city famous for producing coffee and leather.  This site also has ample opportunity to work with NGOs and the MFI FINCA.

·      Rivas- This department borders Costa Rica and is very warm and tropical.  There is Lake Nicaragua to the east and Pacific Ocean to the west.  Once again I would have the opportunity to work with women’s groups and follow up on loan advising for small business owners.

All three sites are really different, but have great job descriptions and I would thoroughly enjoy all of them, if my bosses deem them suitable.  Basically they informed me thatI was recruited to work with nonprofits and I want to for fill that task along with supporting women in business and working with an MFI.  I find out where I’m going this Wednesday so I’ll keep ya’ll up dated!

Amongst all the work, I have also been having a lot of fun.  Last weekend we made the hour long hike down to Laguna de Apollo.  This lake was once an active volcano that filled with rain water after it became dormant.  The water is crystal clear and full of minerals.  We spent the day on the shores of the lake sun bathing and eating mangos.  It’s so amazing to have a secluded little paradise with in hiking distance of our training towns.  The scenary was breathtaking and we will be returning to take advanage of its beauty.


This Friday I attended the Fiestas Patronales in San Juan de Oriente where four other volunteers live.  My cousin David came with and a big group of us split a bottle of rum while we roamed the streets making new friends.  Around nine a Columbian band started to play and people crowded the stage while we drank and danced.  An hour later at the other end of the street where another stage was set up a Mexican band started to play.  The bands went back and forth like this until the early morning.  It was awesome to be able to speak Spanish the entire night and get some salsa in!  I had my latest Spanish interview this week and Im officially at theIntermediate Mid level which is where we need to be to swear in as a volunteer!  Im excited to see how much I improve in the next month!

2 comments:

  1. That lake is beautiful, Kate. Can you swim in it?I think that is what I would be doing rather than sunbathing....or floating around on the surface! Ha! I can not imagine being bi lingual. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's water is crystal clear and full of minerals! This is where we are headed tomorrow for the fourth! I'm not quite bi lingual yet but hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete